"Nice Game Pretty Boy!"

Friday, May 12, 2006

"I was Free and Clear! I was Living the Dream! I was Stripped to the Waist, Eating a Block of Cheese the Size of a Car Battery!"


For the next few days, my wife is out of town visiting friends in San Diego. This means that for basically the first time since 2004, I will be living alone in the apartment for an entire weekend (and more). As an occupational therapist, my wife doesn't often travel for work. I don't travel much for work either, but each year brings a smattering of out-of-town bachelor parties and Spring Training/baseball excursions, which require my attendance and result in my leaving my poor wife to fend for herself. Well now, the shoe is on the other foot, and I have 72 hours of bachelor living ahead of me this weekend. Because my wife fortuitously timed her trip while the Mets are away in Milwalkee, the only plans I have are a "going away party" tonight at Waterloo Tavern on the Upper East side (which basically means instead of drinking beers and shots with a few of my buddies, I'll be drinking beers and shots with a few more of my buddies). Beyond that, anything goes. If I want to continue the drinkfest on Saturday there is this Upper East Side Bar Tour, presented by our friends at Lindy Promotions. Or I could finally go see Thank You For Smoking, which I need to see now, before the Summer Blockbuster season brings X-Men 3 , Superman Returns and a bunch of other movies that will make me forget about critically acclaimed Indy films. There is also always a chance I could put together an impromptu poker game, or head out to Yankee Stadium, which, unfortunately for me is literally "the only game in town" this weekend. Or, I could stay at home and have the kind of fun that only George Costanza can have with a Glamour Magazine. I am, of course, open to other suggestions as well.

In other news:

The Sports Guy, Bill Simmons took a break from chronicling everything that nobody wants to know about the LA Clippers and the NBA Playoffs, and kept a running diary of Thursday's Mike & the Mad Dog Radio Program. Pretty funny stuff about the radio team we Met fans love to hate. I listened to the show a little bit today, but heard no mention of the article.

My roto baseball team is currently in first place, but suffered some hard luck last night when both Aaron Rowand and Hideki Matsui went down. Since we need the runs and SBs and have some pitching strength, we traded Indians RHP Cliff Lee to the last place team for Red Sox OF Coco Crisp, who is scheduled to come off the DL sometime next week. While I was feverishly preparing for a closing this morning, my co-owner, Jon, convinced me that we needed to make this deal. Now I am wondering if this move wasn't motivated in large part by his love-affair with fantasy players from the Red Sox. Time will tell, but now I have some more motivation to root for the Sox, and a little less motivation to root for the Yankees (I don't think Hideki will be back before August). At least we still have Jeetuh.

5 Comments:

  • Mike and Dog spent a little time on the Sports Guy column. Mike is apparently a big fan of his.

    By Blogger Toasty Joe, at 4:33 PM  

  • 1. Please give more details concerning their comments on the Sports Guy.

    2. Great spot on that article. Luckily I left work yesterday at 4 pm and was able to listen to that portion of the show. Solid recap by the Sports Guy.

    3. In a weird nexus of the universe type thing, the Sports Guy's column uses the "I'm Keith Hernandez" line.

    By Blogger Count Choculitis, at 4:37 PM  

  • They just talked about how hilarious the sports guy is, how funny his "summit of horrible NBA GMs" article was - they read his line about Rick Cerrone, Frank Stallone and Danny Almonte and laughed. Dog doesnt read him that often, but Mike was hyping him up.

    By Blogger Toasty Joe, at 4:56 PM  

  • Damn. I really would love to have heard Mike & the Dog talk about the Sports Guy. The only time I ever heard them do so was after the 2003 ALCS when Mike read the Sports Guy's column aloud on the air. A couple of weeks later, the SG wrote that one of the few good things to come from the Sox' Game 7 collapse was hearing that Mikey gave him some love on the air. Maybe they'll rerun today's show on YES sometime.

    By Blogger BookieD, at 5:06 PM  

  • Intstead of 'the summer of George', you can have the 'the weekend of Matt D'. Walk around in your underwear and drink hard liquor at home during the day. Enjoy.

    By Blogger michael o., at 3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home