"Nice Game Pretty Boy!"

Friday, April 28, 2006

"Keith Hernandez?! I DESPISE the Man!"



I know, I know, two Keith Hernandez-themed posts in the span of a week. Well to those thinking that, I say: (i) Keith has been in the news a lot this week and (ii) look at the freaking title of this blog! Anyway, this is just a brief note regarding this article/story on ESPN.com by Jim Caple, which people have been e-mailing me. Jim has written an episode of Seinfeld inspired by the recent story involving Keith Hernandez being repremanded by SNY for certain remarks the network deemed inappropriate in Keith's incredulous reaction to seeing Padres assistant trainer/massage therapist Kelly Calabrese in the San Diego dugout. This is relatively old news (from this past weekend), so you can click the link for more details. However, because the Caple satire keeps ending up in my in-box, I though I would post a link here, along with my reaction (and the accompanying photo, which makes me laugh just looking at it). Anyway, the story is mildly amusing, and I chuckled a couple of times, but I don't see what all the fuss is about. Extra points for featuring the Mets (duh) and having some of the storylines come together at the end, in classic Seinfeld fashion. However, points off for phoning it in on the dialogue with the usual Jerry lines beginning with"What's the deal with..." and trying in vain to recreate the classic Jerry-George banter at Monk's Coffee Shop. You may think I'm being a little harsh, but to paraphrase what Simon told Katherine McPhee on American Idol** this past Tuesday, "By choosing to parody Sienfeld, it's like coming out here and saying 'I am as good as Larry David.' And you're not."

**For my post on American Idol from this week, click here.

6 Comments:

  • I read Caple's article - I wasn't impressed. He's not really my favorite, though I do appreciate the fact that he's a Yankee-hater.

    By Blogger Toasty Joe, at 11:26 AM  

  • Thanks, Fat Pants. "The Boyfriend" was a classic.

    You certainly can't put a price on Yankee-bashing. Capel is a counter-balance to Yankee-phile Buster Olney. In Capel's defense, it is nearly impossible to try to do Seinfeld. You're better off just putting up pictures and letting people chuckle.

    By Blogger BookieD, at 11:59 AM  

  • Every one of your posts should be preceded by a Seinfeld quote. That'll give your blog a little cache. "Oh, it's got cache, baby!"

    By Blogger Count Choculitis, at 2:58 PM  

  • It's got cache up the ying-yang!!

    By Blogger Toasty Joe, at 3:28 PM  

  • Cache--like the name "Seven." Speaking of the Mick, a Yankee Stadium-themed post is forthcoming. There are many, many quotes from which to choose on that topic, so I will attempt to choose wisely.

    By Blogger BookieD, at 3:59 PM  

  • I nominate these Yankee-related ones:

    1. Jerry: "That's quite an operation they're running up there."

    2. Steinbrenner: "Chinese....nope, nope, nope. Too many boxes. Makes god-awful mess. No, we're gonna stick with the CALZONES FROM PAISANO'S."

    3. Steinbrenner: "My baseball people kept telling me - Ken Phelps! Ken Phelps!"

    By Blogger Toasty Joe, at 4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home