"Nice Game Pretty Boy!"

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

"...A Crucial Hernandez Error Led to a 5-Run Phillies Ninth. Cost the Mets the Game!"



A couple of untimely errors did our heros in last night. First, Idol-Favorite Katherine McPhee made made three Elvis-Night errors by (i) appearing in tight jeans and a bizarre shirt that somehow emphasized her stomach while de-emphasizing her greatest non-vocal assets, (ii) singing a hokey medley of "Hound Dog" and "All Shook Up" that sounded like a bad wedding/bar mitzvah band during that annoying portion of the evening when they get kooky and take on the 50's (she should have sung "Shout" from Animal House and passed out fake RayBans, while she was at it) and (iii) doing a completely over-the-top rendition of "I Can't Help Falling in Love With You." It was not a great night for her, and much like Kramer told Miss Rhode Island during her preparation for the Miss America Pageant, "If you stumble, if you hesitate, you can kiss the crown goodbye." We'll see if the voters are as forgiving.

The other error occurred in last night's Mets-Phillies game and was made by Met fan favorite Aaron Heilman, who pitched the bottom of the 9th, with the game tied 4-4 after Carols Delgado 2-Run blast in the top of the 9th. With the bases loaded, Heilman got Bobby Abreu (a favorite of mine and former member of my root baseball team) to bounce a ball weakly in front of home plate. Heilman tried to field the play himself and threw the ball over Delgado's head at first base, allowing David Dellucci's to score the winning run and giving the Phillies a 5-4 victory in the opener of the big NIL East showdown. The error squandered a terrific comeback for the Mets, who fought their way back into the game after pretty much being shut down the entire evening by Philly starter Brett Meyers. I'll turn the details over to Toasty Joe and Mr. Met, but I will say that the comeback is something of a silver lining for the Mets, who in recent years past would have rolled over and played dead after failing to score early and falling behind. One other encouraging Met note--reliever and internet fan favorite Heath Bell was called up from Norfolk yesterday (reliever Bartholone Fortunato was demoted to AAA). This is somewhat peculiar, in that the Mets all but ignored Bell during spring training, allowing him to pitch something like 3 innings the entire Spring. Evidently, his recent success as the Tides' closer has been impossible to ignore, even for the Mets. Maybe this will make management more comfortable handing Heilman a job in the starting rotation. Or maybe the Mets are showcasing Bell for a trade to bring in some retread starter. Knowing the Mets, it's probably the latter (I hear from ESPN's Peter Gammons that the Orioles may make Bruce Chen or Rodrigo Lopez available) , but it is still a good sign that Bell has been called up. Hopefully Tom Glavine will right the ship tonight.

16 Comments:

  • Dude, get an editor. Plus, you forgot to mention some horrible umpiring by home plate umpire Doug Eddings. You also forgot to mention the new 3 man booth of Gary Cohen, Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling. Good stuff. Let's stick with this booth the rest of the year.

    By Blogger Count Choculitis, at 9:50 AM  

  • Hey, don't fault the bookie...at least he gave us something to read before 10 am...

    I agree, the ump was squeezing Heilman - you sure that wasn't angel hernandez? Watching at the bar last night, and didn't have sound - what happened with julio franco getting tossed? Arguing balls/strikes from the dugout, i take it?

    Thanks for the Katharine McBoob shot. I think those are her only fine assets...

    A) Does BLoDuca throw him out?
    B) Does Heilman have a play at plate (if BLoDuca stays at plate)

    i think A) yes B) no.

    By Blogger SonnyD, at 10:23 AM  

  • Why do I need an editor? Please specify your complaints and they will be dealt with in the order in which they are received. Regarding the umpiring, I said that this entry was not a recap of the game, and referred you to two blogs where you can recap the game.

    I actually missed most of the game, but I did see the end and the highlights. I think LoDuca makes the throw there, but it is a tough play. Bad luck for us.

    By Blogger BookieD, at 11:05 AM  

  • I see the errors now. The names go screwed up by the spell-checker. Ironically, you could say that "my editor" is the reason for the mistakes. They have been rectified.

    By Blogger BookieD, at 11:10 AM  

  • I did not get to see Idol last night...how did the others fare?

    Speaking of 'the others', should be some good stuff tonight. "...I wahnt ans-ahs"

    By Blogger SonnyD, at 11:10 AM  

  • I provided a handy-dandy recap on my blog. I was thinking some of your typos were intentional - e.g., "Carlos Delegates" - I thought you were being clever.

    By Blogger Toasty Joe, at 12:08 PM  

  • greenhaus, you need your own blog.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:35 PM  

  • I need a proof reader. I suck.

    The umps have been so bad lately it's not even worth talking about. A nightmare, but the Mets have not been sharp and that's the bottom line.

    Those boobs are sweet. I'm their biggest fan. She did shit the bed though. If she does not move on, it will be a shame. She's the best there and her and Chris should be in the final. Whatever, America is dumb. I mean enough of Taylor Hicks already.

    I stopped watching the game because my DVR started to record two things @ 9 and told me I was done and I was too lazy to go into a another room. Glad I did pass on watching the rest of the game.

    Lost is going to be fucking swell.

    I don't generally recap games much because you can read them anywhere. If I have a recap it's because I have nothing else.

    By Blogger michael o., at 1:54 PM  

  • Katherine and Chris are the only two of them that I could actually see as a pop idol. Taylor is a goofball with appeal to middle-aged women, and Elliot has a terrific voice, but not the charisma to be a true star. If the McPheever and her boobs are voted out, the competition will suffer.

    Lost is looking good tonight, if only because the preview made it look like it will feature a lot of Mr. Eko (though to me, he'll really always be Simon Adebisi from Oz). I don't know why he's not featured prominently in every episode.

    By Blogger BookieD, at 2:03 PM  

  • I think Chris has the most promise out of all of them. You could stick him in any of those Creed-like bands and you wouldn't know the difference. And Eliot is so boring and just too damn fugly to win.

    I do agree...Mr. Eko should be a bigger player. He could be big...Gabby Hayes big...

    By Blogger SonnyD, at 3:17 PM  

  • I want to see Mr. Eko kick more ass. Seriously, just bludgeon people with his jesus stick.

    By Blogger michael o., at 4:06 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger michael o., at 4:06 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger michael o., at 4:06 PM  

  • wow, good stuff tonight!

    By Blogger SonnyD, at 12:17 AM  

  • I can't get my stinkin' logo to associate with my screen name. Damn computers. I want to see a picture of Chocula!

    Good stuff on LOST last night. Not sure I know what the hell is going on. Not sure the writers do either....

    By Blogger Count Choculitis, at 9:13 AM  

  • Oh. I see that picture now. Umm, yeah.

    By Blogger Count Choculitis, at 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home