"Nice Game Pretty Boy!"

Monday, June 12, 2006

Jerry, it was a Whirlwind. They Whisked Us Backstage, the Media is Sworming, Champagne is Flowing...Whooo! I Can't Describe How Great it is to Win. "


On a night that featured the Tony Awards, the NBA Finals and the aftermath of the Mets' wonderful 15-2 drubbing of the reeling Arizona Diamondbacks (to complete the 4-game sweep), most people I know were concerned with one thing...the premier of Season 3 of Entourage on HBO. Before we get to Vince's Mom and the premier of Aquaman, a couple of notes on last night's other entertainment.

1. I didn't see a second of the Tony Awards, which is somewhat unusual, as Mrs. Bookie, an avid fan of the theatre, usually commandeers the TV on Tony night to see all her favorite Broadway stars ham it up for their lone TV appearance of the year. Fortunately for me, because we arrived home so late, and because our wedding album finally came in the mail (only 2-1/2 years after the Big Night), the misses was too distracted to care that "Jersey Boys" took the honors for Best Musical and "The History Boys" won Best Play. Yes, in a shocking turn of events, it was a Boys' Nite at the Tony Awards in 2006. One other note--in 1998, I actually attended the Tonies as a summer associate at the law firm of Proskauer Rose LLP. The show itself was uninteresting, but crashing the parties afterwards was a great time. We stayed up all night and watched the sun rise at Liza's (not Minelli). My brother, currently a summer associate at Proskauer, attended last night, and was under strict orders from the Firm (as has every summer associate been since 1999) not to crash any parties. It's good to know that the impact of my summer class is still being felt, lo these many years later.

2. What a week for the Mets! Could this have been the best West Coast road trip in team history? You really can't argue with 6-1. All you can say is on June 12, 2006, t's Great to be a New York Mets fan.

3. As for Entourage--pretty good episode, picking up where we left off last season.

A) My first gripe, as always is about Turtle piming all this Yankees clothing. Last night we see him in his usual Yankees cap, but accessorizing with a "Welcome Johnny Damon" t-shirt. Vince and the boys are allegedly from Queens! What are there, like 3 Yankees fans in all of Queens?? I know that the Yankees gear definitely jibes with Turtle's whole "Wigger" but still. It upsets me every time I watch this show.

B) It will definitely be interesting to see Ari try to maintain his tough-guy persona while working out of some low-rent quarters (where he literally gives away quarters) without the usual LA creature comforts of parking and elevator service. It was also nice to find out that Ari married well, his wife prying funds from her family trust fund in order to keep Ari's fledgling agency afloat.

C) Great cameo by James Woods, one of my all-time favorite actors/cool guys. You all can keep George Clooney. I'll take Woods and his gun-toting, poker playing, bimbo-banging style any day of the week. Sure, Jimmy was a little over-the-top, and his messing with Drama on the red carpet was hardly a fitting revenge for the boys' poaching his tickets to the Aquaman premier. However, it's still great to see that Jimmy can have some fun with his image as a Hollywood player (I especially loved when he helped himself to a handful quarters on Lloyds desk).

D) I was concerned that if Aquaman is too big a hit, the show will lose some of the fun we have with Vince being a celebrity, but not a Bragelina-sized phenomenon. Of course, we don't want our hero to flop in his first big film either. From what I read in the review by Entertainment Weekly (giving the show an A-), the writers do a nice job dealing with the situation.

Okay, I'm off to see whether Team USA can dig itself out of a 2-0 hole against the Czecks (which, I guess is something like being down 9-0 in the 6th inning of a baseball game). Any thoughts and feelings are welcome.

4 Comments:

  • I have no problem with Turtle sporting Yankee gear. The guy's written as a total an idiot, so I'd rather he represent them, not us. Unfortunately, he wears NY Giants gear just as often.

    I'm sure Jimmy Woods is not one of your all-time favorites because he's a hard-core conservative, right?

    By Blogger Toasty Joe, at 2:37 PM  

  • I do like Jimmy's politics, but I don't choose my Hollywood man-crushes based on political views (for example, I have no love for Major Dad and only mild affection for Kelsey Grammer). From what I have heard, James Woods is a legend for banging many, many chicks in hollywood (including bedding the then 22-year-old Heather Graham on the set of Diggstown) all without the usual pretty-boy himbo looks. He's also a big-time poker player, which is always a bonus.

    By Blogger BookieD, at 2:52 PM  

  • They should be careful to keep Ari within a reasonable distance from reality. I fear he may go too "over the top" and become a caricature more than anything else. Hopefully his new digs will keep him grounded.

    By Blogger Count Choculitis, at 9:08 AM  

  • USA got owend. The first half was not so bad and the goals allwed were hardly gimme's and tremendous shots. But the second half? They looked dead and incapable of passing. Costa Rica netted two against Germany....the USA could have done much better. Maybe they are overrated this year. Sucks....

    From what I have heard, James Woods is a legend for banging many, many chicks in hollywood (including bedding the then 22-year-old Heather Graham on the set of Diggstown) all without the usual pretty-boy himbo looks.

    He's my hero.

    By Blogger michael o., at 1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home