"Nice Game Pretty Boy!"

Monday, June 05, 2006

"You've Gotta See the Baby!!"


***Update--Regarding the discussion of The Sopranos, here is an entry by Larry from ThisIsWhatWeDoNow, who is apparently in the Toasty Joe camp, showing some love to this past season of the show and to this past Sunday's "finale."

This past weekend brought us a lot of rain, some excruciating Mets games and, little bundles of joy. First, as announced here on NGBP last week, we welcomed the Skipper's son, Noah Scott (pictured here) to the world on May 31. In between comforting his wife through post-natal trauma and shilling for the newly released Jennifer Anniston-Vince Vaughn vehicle, The Break-Up (screenplay co-written by the Skipper's cousin and close, personal friend Jeremy Garelick), the Skipper brought young Noah home from the hospital to begin his journey through life under the unfortunate circumstances of being from New Jersey and (we presume) a Yankees fan. Nonetheless, he is a cute kid, and from everything I've seen, he has a large, loving family, so I have no doubt Noah will turn out okay. (Also special thanks for setting me up with a nice, easy quote for the title of this post).

Speaking of babies, I also had the pleasure of hosting some close friends of mine and their infant son at the Hamptons House this weekend. Thanks to the never-ending rain, I got to enjoy hours of fun inside the house, a significant portion of which involved me watching the new mommy strap on some bizarre apparatus and pump breast milk into plastic containers for future consumption by the young tyke. If I was already frightened about the prospect of someday becoming a father, then I am now positively terrified. Nonetheless, I am as optimistic for young Max's future as I am for Noah, except that as a future Mets fan, Max can look forward to a life of venting frustration on talk radio and Mets weblogs. Welcome to the fun!

In other weekend news, The Sopranos ended (or, more accurately, susp-ended) its season with a pretty good, if discomforting episode involving (another) mob boss ailing in a hospital bed, (more) infidelity and heroine addiction for Christopher and (for the first time ever) some responsibility and maturity from A.J. I'm sure the film buffs like my brother will say this episode was a masterpiece, but I have to say that I was really uncomfortable sitting there watching Christopher and Juliana Margolis nod off on the yam yam. What's even more tragic is that the couple's swan dive off the wagon and attendant downward spiral of smack usage was a chain reaction set off by one brief indulgence in Juliana's herbal cough remedy. In any case, with the onset of the Summer, we can say good bye to Tony and the boys from North Jersey and a hearty "Hello" to Vince, Drama, Turtle and the crew from Hollywood. I hear a trip to Vegas is on this Summer's agenda. Victory!!!

Finally, who needs crying babies to keep you up all night when the Mets are playing 6 straight night games on the West Coast? Last night, I watched 7 innings of Alay Soler's 1-run masterpiece. Yes, it was a thing of beauty, but I see a lot of Starbucks in my immediate future. Four days 'till the weekend, people!

10 Comments:

  • I don't even try to watch the West Coast games......I never even turn on the game. Otherwise I would be up all night. Instead, I watched my beloved Sox and their supposed savior, Josh Beckett, get hammered by the Yanks in the Bronx. It is unbelievable that last night's Beckett was the same Beckett who shut the Yankees down on 3 days rest in Game 6 of the 2003 World Series.

    By Blogger Count Choculitis, at 9:52 AM  

  • I guess now is as good a time as any to address the fact that the Count claims allegiance to TWO teams. Frankly, I don't see how this is possible, but that's just me.

    Bookie - I am frankly pleasantly surprised that you didn't dump on the sopranos' finale as I thought you might. I, like your brother, thought it was really interesting. This has been said before, but I find that too many "fans" watch the show like some kind of mob "reality" show, where they expect one person to get voted/killed off each week. Is the show as good as it was in seasons 1 and 2? Of course not, but it's still better than 95% of the dross and dreck that pollutes the airwaves. Can't wait until the next mini-season, which will no doubt be sometime in 2009.

    By Blogger Toasty Joe, at 9:58 AM  

  • I have lectured the Count on numerous occasions about his baseball bigamy. Basically, it stems from a life-altering trip to Fenway in 2003, which made it easy to betray the Mets during the lean years of 2003-2004. Don't worry. The Mets aren't fooled.

    Toasty, I don't know what kind of Sopranos fan you think I am, but I am not looking for whackings and jackings each week, though I do definitely enjoy them--my favorite episode of the show is still Episode 2 of Season 1, in which Christopher and Brendan Fallone hijack Juniors stolen trucks, and Brendan ends up getting clipped in his bathtub by Mikey Palmieci. I do like the artistic quality of the show as well, and I have enjoyed most of this season. Taking all that into account, some episodes are still better than others. We already did the whole heroin-relapse thing with Christopher during the "Feast" a couple of weeks ago. It was difficult to sit through it again.

    By Blogger BookieD, at 10:07 AM  

  • By the way, Bookie, nice use of the "Viking Quest" victory yell. I am looking forward to Sunday.

    By Blogger Toasty Joe, at 10:34 AM  

  • Juliana Margolis is smoking.

    By Blogger michael o., at 1:04 PM  

  • Really? Has she seen the ad with the tracheotomy guy? She should quit.

    By Blogger Toasty Joe, at 1:44 PM  

  • That ad is brutal. It gets turned off or muted every time it comes on.

    By Blogger Count Choculitis, at 3:27 PM  

  • Juliana does look great. I was shocked to see how good her body still looks. Wasn't she on ER, like, ten years ago?

    I agree on the trachiotomy ad. It makes me want to change the channel. Why must it run so often??

    "Let me help you out with that. Here, just slip it over your head.."

    By Blogger BookieD, at 4:10 PM  

  • Really? Has she seen the ad with the tracheotomy guy? She should quit.

    Bastard.

    I turn my head when the add is on. Just horrible. Him swabbing his big hole in the middle of his neck is just gross. Although, I would love to through something down there.

    By Blogger michael o., at 3:39 PM  

  • Really? Has she seen the ad with the tracheotomy guy? She should quit.

    Bastard.

    I turn my head when the add is on. Just horrible. Him swabbing his big hole in the middle of his neck is just gross. Although, I would love to through something down there.

    By Blogger michael o., at 3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home